Monday, April 09, 2007

Bathroom Update

I am guessing new construction is easier to work with than what I have going on in my house. The beams upstairs have sagged over the year and literally nothing is straight or even. There are old shims to keep my new shims company and pieces of plywood jammed in here and there to get things level and stable. It bothers the fussy part of me. I want to take it all apart and fix it so it's nice and straight and less complicated, but I guess that's probably me being ridiculous.

As you do home remodeling you slowly get more comfortable with the tools you are using and how to do things - like cutting plywood with a circular saw. As long as the wood is supported the blade is less likely to bind. I used a set of 2x4's across my saw horses to give me a platform where the plywood is well supported and can't bend. Cutting it has been very easy. I am also getting used to using the sawzall and have no problem starting on unbroked surfaces and controlling cutting depth.

It's early April and I think I started my bathroom in late November. Some houses take less time to build than my bathroom. Of course they have crews working 8 hour days and it's just me on the weekends fussing and learning as I go. It's getting to the point where we will be doing finish work soon though. I will have to post some before and after pictures.

No comments: